Thursday, June 7, 2012

Warminster, June 4

In leaving Phoenixville I skirted the Valley Forge National Historical Park. Experiencing such a historical place early in the morning, with mist still hanging in the low spots, ignites one’s imagination into seeing in the mind’s eye a somewhat rag-tag group of soldiers trying to hold themselves together in the winter of 1777-78.   

How did they squeeze up to 20 men into such a small cabin?
The rest of the day’s ride was easy, over somewhat familiar roads in my native Bucks and neighboring Montgomery Counties. I even stopped for a haircut before arriving in Warminster at the home of Betty Bethke, a high school classmate who has remained a close friend all these years. Betty and her husband Ken drove Sharee, my wife, to Philadelphia Hospital many years ago for the birth of Jennifer, our daughter. This went on while I was riding the train out from Philadelphia after finishing my graduate classes at Temple. So, Betty has been a part of the family from the start.  And we have both cried on each other’s shoulder over the loss of our spouses.

To understand why I'm riding and raising money, please go to the first post--April 26.
To make a donation to the ALSA, please go to: http://web.alsa.org/goto/deirdresride

No comments:

Post a Comment