Sunday, June 3, 2012

Rockville, MD  May 30

Snapper was on a morning stroll
on Mt. Vernon Trail 
I wish everyone could enter Washington, DC, that city of Gordian knot traffic, via the Mount Vernon Trail. What an absolute joy!

The popular trail runs for 18 miles along the Virginia shoreline of the Potomac River, from Mount Vernon to Theodore Roosevelt Island. It offers wonderful views of the river and of DC monuments.
One moment I was whizzing through a forest, another past a clearing to the water where geese were having their morning nosh of grasses.

Soon I was swept up with the other cyclists heading into DC, most with a single bag slung over their shoulder as they headed to their jobs. As we stopped at lights they looked at my burdened bike but said nothing and scampered away as the green appeared.

My destination was the offices of C-SPAN Networks where I reconnected with two wonderful network VIPs…Joanne Wheeler and Peter Kiley. They had provided unflagging support of our cable TV systems when I was in the business. It was a joy to visit with them but I have to admit that I’m glad that I’m riding a bike rather than a desk.

Then it was across the Mall to tour the Smithsonian’s National Museum of the American Indian. The exterior of limestone simulates cliff faces of the Southwest. The interior has a Guggenheim feeling to it…an entrance atrium soars in circles above you. There’s something sterile about the interior but the breadth of Indians covered, not just American, is interesting.

To understand why I'm riding and raising money, please go to the first post--April 26.
To make a donation to the ALSA, please go to: http://web.alsa.org/goto/deirdresride

No comments:

Post a Comment